About the Creek:
Livery Detail $$$
What to bring
Thing to do
Page- Antietam Creek Canoe
Water level for Antietam Creek Today. Water
levels for the Potomac today [Little Falls]
All Potomac Gauges -
The gauge most often used for Antietam is the "Antietam Creek Sharpsburg
Gauge". The gauge itself is located about 200 yards South of Burnside Bridge on river
The Lower Section from Devil's Backbone
to the Potomac, requires 2.6'-
on the gauge; Upper Section, Funkstown to Devil's
- 3.0' (less is ok but bring your sense of humor and don't bring your Kevlar Wenonah; you'll be in and out of your boat on
occasion . More than 3.0 is better)
- The creek side gauge at Burnside, a "yard stick" in the water in front of a
concrete "out house" sort of structure, is really a super sophisticated group of
equipment. A picture comes up when you link to the
Water Level for Antietam Creek"
- The V shaped dam and drop below the gauge, which forms "Molly's Hole", was
constructed to provide a consistent water volume to operate the gauge.
- The actual gauge and sensitive equipment is inside the "Outhouse". Water flows
from the creek through below surface tubes to the equipment, where it is measured,
digitized and transmitted via solar energy to satellite
[some say phone line?] and from there to USCGS, NOAA,
State Highway Adm., and you
and me via the net...! tax dollars at
their best use.
- USGS Real-Time Water Data
This is the NWS/ NOAA link for the Area Gauges that cover all the local water levels
including Antietam Creek.
Also see American
Whitewater for links and information
- To find a correlation between paddling levels and gauge levels you need to tune in to
one of the local club web sites. JOIN A CLUB. It's cheap and gives a huge return.
- MCC, Frederick based, has a great web site at:
Monocacy Canoe Club Homepage
MCC provides an important service to area paddlers by linking most paddle related
resources and providing an open bulletin board with news, events, ideas and opinions.
Other Clubs are:
- MDCC - Mason Dixon Canoe Cruisers
Hagerstown, Boonsboro (our area)
- CCA - Canoe Cruisers Assn. (Washington Based) the
largest and broadest based club.
- BRV - Blue Ridge Voyagers (Northern VA based)
- GBCC - Greater Baltimore Canoe Club
More similar information, some redundant, is on the
weather/Gauge page on this site.
Seneca Creek Gauge [Dawsonville MD]